The porn industry is facing its worst health and P.R. nightmare since being porn: four actors have tested positive for HIV.
What doesn’t help is that this comes after it essentially left Los Angeles to escape the city’s workplace condom requirement. (It’s only if you work on a porn set, so you can put that pack of Trojans away, Port of Los Angeles dockworkers.)
Vancouver, one of the many but few parts of the U.S.’s neighbor of the north, Canada, has decided that crack smokers are people too. In order to facilitate this concept, the city’s health department will now be giving fancy new crack pipes (along with other items to make sure you have an optimum crack session) to any addicts that stop by the east part of downtown Vancouver.
The glass pipes are heat-resistant and shatterproof, which experts say should reduce injury to the users’ lips and mouth — wounds that can make them more susceptible to diseases such as HIV and Hepatitis B and C.
You think you have a better idea on how to spend 60 thousand Canadian dollars?
Sometimes, everything you need to know in a story is right there in the first sentence. Sometimes, its buried further down. And, sometimes, its buried so deep that the story itself is about something else entirely. That’s where “The Real Story” comes in.
According to Time, the story is that China has started distributing free antiretroviral treatments to 63 percent of those in their population who are infected with HIV. The other 37 percent? Not so much, because they got pre-AIDS from sex or drug use.
In order for this item to be news, this would mean believing that the Chinese government can do anything without at least one evil element.
No, the real story here is how the worldwide medical community rates the effectiveness of antiretroviral treatment: in “person-years,” or “an estimate of the number of years that would have been lost due to early death from AIDS.”
We’re sorry. Your dog may be 12 in “dog years,” but in “person-years?” Barkplug has AIDS.
Zuma, who already has 3 wives and 20 children, fathered another one out of wedlock. That’s right: it wasn’t even with one of his three wives! What ever happened to marital fidelity?!
(Of course, were this a French African country, his wives would probably accept his mistress.)
Critics are citing the statistic that “one in nine South Africans is infected with HIV.” They argue that Zuma’s out of wedlock child sets a bad example.
We’re not saying that South Africa has a … shoddy understanding of AIDS, but not only do they seem to believe that simply more South Africans equals more AIDS, but Zuma himself said, for a separate sex charge, that “he took a shower after the act to minimize the chance of infection” after (allegedly consensual) sex with an HIV-positive family friend.
As we all know, it’s not HIV that kills a person, but the multiplication of the virus that leaves the body unable to fight other infections, like the flu or jock itch. But, you can pretty much live with HIV for the rest of your life (however long that may be).
So, good-bye fear of AIDS! Hello, shared needles!*
*Disclaimer: The Guys don’t share needles without protection. We always inject ourselves through a condom.
You got your coffee that barista whipped up extra special for you, using their hands? Did they get a little caramel on a finger and lick it off? It’s amazing they only nicked themselves on that bagel guillotine. Oh, these carefree days!